alfresco installation?

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Thu Nov 8 00:07:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 16:26 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> if someone wants to produce the step-by-step recipe for F8, i'll
> gleefully host it at my wiki here:
>
>   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  i'm particularly interested in whether openJDK is sufficient for
> this.  anyway, i'll start a wiki page and document what i've got so
> far.

	I just tried running it on OpenJDK on a Rawhide install (probably
pretty close to what F8 will be).  So far no luck.  Lots and lots of
errors.

	Here is what I do to get Alfresco running on F8:

	o Download Sun's jdk1.6.0 rpm
	o Get the jpackage 1.6.0 compat rpm
	o Get alfresco-community-war-2.1.0.tar.gz
	o untar it
	o cd into the untar'd directory
	o cp alfresco.war /var/lib/tomcat/webapps
	o mysql  < ./extras/databases/mysql/db_setup.sql
	o mkdir -p /var/lib/alfresco/alf_data/

	o startup tomcat

Once it runs, you'll get errors.  That's okay, just fix the paths:

vim /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/classes/alfresco/repository.properties

Fix the dir.root to point to the new directory we created:
dir.root=/var/lib/alfresco/alf_data

vim /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

Fix the log file path:
log4j.appender.File.File=/var/log/tomcat5/alfresco.log

	o Make sure tomcat loads the mysql driver:

'sh# rebuild-jar-repository /var/lib/tomcat5/common/endorsed
mysql-connector-java'

	Restart tomcat and it should now run just fine.  I have not created a
startup script for OpenOffice.  You'll notice that Alfresco will try to
connect to it and fail if it's not running.  It will continue to load
without OpenOffice.

				...Jeff

PS.  Here is a part of the first error when I try to run it under
openjdk (icetea):

16:05:52,779 ERROR [catalina.session.ManagerBase] IOException while
aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException:
org.alfresco.web.ui.common.component.UIListItem
java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted;
java.io.NotSerializableException:
org.alfresco.web.ui.common.component.UIListItem
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1351)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:369)
        at java.util.ArrayList.readObject(ArrayList.java:697)
        at
        at
        at
java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeReadObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:992)