Fedora 8

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 02:13:41 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>    After a few tests I discovered that the F7 boot partition was
>>> (hd0,5) and the F8 boot partition was (hd0,5). I tried to get F7
>>> booted but no luck. I finally unplugged the god dam SATA hard drive,
>>> re-did the grub thing from the rescue CD and here I am back on F7 :-)
>>>
>>>    The Grub problem is because both boot partitions are partition 6.
>>> I will fix this tomorrow.
>>
>> Do you mean grub.conf was messed up (and pointed both installs to
>> (hd0,5))?
>    No! F7 is on an ide hard drive. F8 is on a SATA hard drive. But
> alas, the boot partitions are both (hd?,5) and with my odd BIOS F7 was
> never selected. I will have to move boot to another partition on
> either hard drive. Then see if it works.

Oh, okay - that's not so bad then :)
Grub is supposed to see one of the drives as (hd0) and another one as
(hd1). These correspond to physical drives. If you have more than 2
physical drives, it might be (hd2), etc...
If you used the BIOS to switch between drives (selecting primary boot
drive), then grub will probably change the names around, be careful!