/etc/rpm/platform for 64bits?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Nov 8 11:21:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 08:17 -0200, André Costa wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 12:06 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> >
> > André Costa wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > my system is an Intel Core 2 Duo, and I installed x86_64 version of
> > > Fedora 7 from scratch, but my /etc/rpm/platform has:
> > >
> > > ia32e-redhat-linux
> > >
> > > I've read in a lot of places on the net suggestions that it should
> > > contain:
> > >
> > > x86_64-redhat-linux
> > >
> > > So, should I change it?
> >
> > Or simply remove /etc/rpm/platform
> >
> > -- Rex
>
> Thks for the replies.
>
> So, is this a bug? Should I file a bug report?
I am not sure.

According to rpm's sources, the ia32e is a member of the x86_64 family.
So, this setting could be intentional. However, I don't know what and
why it has been set to this value on your system.

>  What's the purpose of
> the /etc/rpm/platform anyway?
It's internally used by rpm to override a machine's "platform".

E.g. setting it to "i586-redhat-linux" causes rpm to ignore all
"*.i686.rpm"s.

Ralf