bash History on F7

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:04:05 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:
>> Adel ESSAFI wrote:
>>> I have a strange behaviour on my bash shell on F7. In some session, I
>>> lose all the histoty!!! I don t find any command that I have executed
>>> in my previous sessions.
>>> Regards.
>>> Adel
>
> I have noticed this for ages.  If you have multiple shells open, one
> will override the others.  So some sessions won't be stored in the
> history.  If you are like me, I have multiple shell windows open so I
> don't rely on history.  At home I only keep one line for privacy.

Apparently that is not the case.

Bash doesn't write to .bash_history in "real time". It writes the
history when the terminal session is closed. So in case of multiple
sessions, the history of the session that logs out first is written
first and so on.

If the session is killed, maybe by killing the process or if a remote
ssh session gets dropped due to network problems, the history doesn't
get written. That could be one explanation to the problem noticed by Adel.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218