Fedora 8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 8 18:49:46 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 18:10 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> zotkop wrote:
>>
>>> Only 4 hours left till the release of Fedora 8.
>>> Am I right?
>>> Could be that I had some miscalculations (I'm @ gmt +1)
>>>
>>> With love from Belgium,
>>>
>>> The impatient
>>>
>>     Well I installed F8 and the trouble started. It booted fine but as
>> usual the Nvidia was all bad.
>>

> Please define all bad?
> Did you get a working X display?
> Were you using the OSS driver or were you using the nVidia-supplied
> binary driver?
>

>> I had to write the proper things in
>> /etc/X11/file that got the pointer working.
>>

> Pointer?
>

>> Then I had to mount my F7 to
>> F8 and copy the Nvidia bash file to F8 and on the 8th reboot F8 came up
>> fine with the proper image size ect.
>>

> OK.  I gather that you are using the binary driver.
> ... If you have problems with the binary driver, please report it to
> nvnews.net [1].
>

>> But then the worst possible grub bug showed up! I tried to boot to F7
>> but it was impossible :-(
>>
>>     After a few tests I discovered that the F7 boot partition was
>> (hd0,5) and the F8 boot partition was (hd0,5). I tried to get F7 booted
>> but no luck. I finally unplugged the god dam SATA hard drive, re-did the
>> grub thing from the rescue CD and here I am back on F7 :-)
>> The Grub problem is because both boot partitions are partition 6. I
>> will fix this tomorrow.
>>

> I assume that both are sitting on different disks, right?
> Be aware that if they are on two different disks, minor changes in the
> BIOS (read: boot from disk 0 vs boot from CDROM) might change the disk
> order that is being supplied -by the BIOS- causing you to boot from the
> wrong disk.
>

>>     There will be a bug written on the poor ability of F8 to work on a
>> computer with Nvidia VGA system even though anaconda found the proper
>> VGA and called it Nvidia.
>>

> What is the nature of bug?
> X doesn't start? X goes down after a while? garbled display?

    Anaconda found that my computer has a Nvidia VGA hardware and even
called it the right model! I was happy and hoped it would carry on but
when I rebooted it has the same 800X600 off center x-windows that it had
with F7 when it was new. So it seems there has been no work on setting
up a new version of Fedora capable of working with Nvidia hardware. That
will be my bug.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User