boot cd's

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 9 00:06:32 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> I do my Fedora installs and upgrades by booting off of a CDR and doing a
>> NFS install from the DVD image that I have on my fileserver.
>>
>> Is there a difference (other than the logo screen) between the boot cd
>> images
>> for Fedora versions?  In other words, can I use my F7 boot cd to
>> install F8, or
>> am I better off to create a new CD from the image on the F8 dvd?
>
> Yes, there are major differences in the boot environment. You can get
> the Fedora 8 boot image (or better yet the rescue image since it has the
> second stage installer too) from one of the mirrors.
>
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/8/
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/sn-which-files.html

There's a long thread on doing network installs, perhaps you could
either read it and tell us the magic way to make it work off a *local*
DVD image, or you could add a caution to you advice, the install does
work, eventually, but only with external network connection.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>