long wait...

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 9 07:45:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:32:23 -0800
Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just save your data and start a new install. It will be much faster.
> After the initial installation there are still the 3rd party
> repository packages to install. What joy!

I considered that.  The only third-party repository that I have actively
installed is Livna, but I have a number of cron jobs and several bits of
custom-compiled (non-rpm) software that I also run on this computer, plus it
is a LTSP server.  (I have a nifty little Neoware terminal behind the counter in
my theatre lobby that I use to read books and whatnot while the show is on.)

As this is my main computer where all of my stuff lives, setting the whole thing
up again from scratch would probably take the better part of a day and a fair
bit of thought, not to mention that there is always one little thing that I
manage to forget about until something suddenly doesn't happen the way that it
should.

Upgrading it appears to be destined to take a half-day at least, but the
majority of the job can run unattended and, hopefully, overnight.  My plan is to
boot from the CD later tonight, run the upgrade, then  tomorrow morning I
will update the Livna rpm to v8 and run "yum update" after that; hopefully
everything will just work.