Fedora lifetime and stability

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 9 08:15:53 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
>>> That's what RHEL and CentOS are for.
>> Yes, but they use not so up-to-date software as F! Why not satisfy
>> Serguei Miridonov thought? What a mystery is there with the
>> lifetime/release period of F? Why some speak F needs shorter

Do you want to step in and help? A lot of the labour us unpaid.

>> lifetime/release period just to be on "edge"? - the thing I keep try to
>> find out not the first time.
>
> Try Ubuntu. They have long term versions. You get the "bleeding-edge"
> when that version is released. However, I don't believe that the long
> term support versions keep all the packages on the "edge". It just
> does not work that way. What long term support versions provides are
> security fixes and bug fixes. No new features are added over time.

About all that Ubuntu supports is what's on a CD*; all of universe is
unsupported.

*Any CD. Unbuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu etc.

I know of no distro that regular new releases and supports them all for
ever. You choose one or the other.

If you always want the latest, just stay tuned to Rawhide, Debian's SID
or similar.

Not supported with security fixes & such, but always something breaking:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait