F8 says my video controller sucks.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 11:59:31 UTC 2007

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       Well, I downloaded the F8 live cd, and burned it to a
> cd,everything went fine until it got to my video controller, and then f8
> said it couldn't recognize my video controller. Funny, F7 had no
> problems with it. I don't know about anyone else on this list, but I've
> been seeing this same sort of problem on other machines running other
> distros. Ubuntu 7.10 doesn't like the video controller, and 7.04 didn't
> like the Ethernet or wireless card. Mandriva 2008 also doesn't like the
> video card.

It is important to know which graphics card you are using. From reading
bits of the thread you seem to have an Integrated Intel graphics and
NVidia AGP add-on cards.

For anyone to know how to help you the output of /sbin/lspci would show
your video components. Information from /var/log/xorg.0.log might be
helpful.

>       What I don't understand is, if you supported a piece of hardware
> in one version, why don't you support it in your new version. I could
> understand it if I was running old hardware, but it's all only about 2
> or 3 years old.

Sometimes upgrades to correct problems with one video component might
break another type of hardware. I have seen this happen with Ethernet
and with video components. I hate when things like that happen. I had a
3COM Ethernet that died after years because of busting the driver. I
replaced the component because it was never resolved.

For Intel, there are two driver types now. One is the "i810" and the
other is the "intel"

For NVidia, there is the "nv" and the "nouveau" driver. So if for the
NVidia you might need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to whatever works
for your situation.

--
Connection reset by some moron with a backhoe