f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Nov 9 15:13:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 04:24:06PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dario Lesca wrote:
>> In F8 on a PC-A I have start NetworkManager + NetworkManagerDispatcher.
>>> From another pc (PC-B), via ssh connection, i switch PC-A from runlever
>> 5 to 3 via "init 3"
>> Network is stop. my shell on PC-B stop work!
>> grrrr! then I goto on console of PC-A and "service network restart"
>> come back to my PC-B, my shell now work!
>> do some work (in runlevel 3)
>> then re-switch PC-A (via ssh from PC-B) to runlevel 5 via "init 5"
>> Network is stop. my shell on PC-B stop work!
>> grrrr! Is this a correct behavior? Is NM incompatible with runlevel 3 ?
>> Thanks to all for your reply!!

Here's the problem: NetworkManager (NM) and the network "service" are
incompatible. If NM is running, it will obliterate the setup the
network service, so running "service network restart" gets you only
temporary relief.

Also, going from run level 5 to 3 shuts down NM's gnome applet. In the
process of shutting down, it tells NM to shut down all network
connections.

What I recommend you do is shut down MN entirely, and prevent it from
running. Use system-config-services to do this. Make sure the network
service is enabled.

Then use system-config-network (while in run level 5) to configure
your network. Your network configuration should now survive run level
changes (except, of course, to 6).

If you have a laptop, keep NM on the system, and run it only when you
are away from home. That is what I have done.

> Are you using static IP or DHCP? If you are using a static IP,
> NetworkManager doesn't yet support it but will so shortly even possibly
> within a Fedora 8 update. Refer
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/

This is a vaporware announcement. Read the fine print at the bottom.

  Christmas in October?

  Probably not; Fedora 8 has been the driving force for 0.7 so far,
  and we'll get something quite usable in F8 even if it's not
  feature-complete enough to call 0.7.0. The first focus is feature
  parity with 0.6.5, then multiple active device support, and then
  we'll unleash 0.7.0 upon the world.

Read what Mr. Williams says on the Fedora wiki:

  We've pushed hard to get a working svn snapshot of NetworkManager
  0.7 into Fedora 8 that keeps feature parity with 0.6.5 that was
  shipped in F7. With the architectural improvements in 0.7, we are in
  a great position to improve the functionaliy far beyond what 0.6.5
  offered. Some of these improvements will land in and [sic] F8 update
  (when 0.7.0 is released), others will appear in F9.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureMoreNetworkManager

NM still has serious problems, e.g.:

* The lack of a console client (so that the OP and others can run it
  in run level 3).

* Driver support issues.

* The lack of any user documentation whatsoever.

The developers admit this by using a major version number of 0.

Under no circumstances should NM be the sole means of configuring
one's network. There is a perfectly servicable tool,
system-config-network, available for GUI users in other versions of
Fedora. Those of us who run headerless boxes can configure the network
running system-config-network over an SSH connection. There are other
ways to do it.

NM should only run on laptops, and then the user should have the
ability to shut it down and replace it with other tools.