I would like Just a bit of advice about Fc8?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Nov 9 17:08:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 10:59 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I should know but I haven't gotten it clear in my mind.  I am going to
> download Fc8 in the next couple of days and I am not sure whether to go
> for i386 or x86_64?
>
> I have an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual-Core processor on a ASUS M2NPV-VM
> motherboard on a desktop with a small household LAN .  I am not heavy
> user of data bases etc.  I am mainly a SOHO type user, with ordinary one
> person requirements.  I.e. OpenOffice, Firefox etc.
>
> Previously I have been told (maybe here, maybe somewhere else) that I
> will get better usage as i386 until the applications for x86_64 are in
> better shape.  I have been watching the to-and-fro-ing regarding i386
> and x86_64 on this list regarding Fc7 over the last few months.
>
> So, I am just looking for a bit of advice about which would be the most
> appropriate for me, and people like me, to install; Fc8_i386 or Fc8_x64?

Unless you need the memory or extra horsepower that a 64-bit gives you
(and it sounds like you really don't), then I'd stick with the 32-bit
version.  Most of the 64-bit applications are up to snuff, but there's
some third-party stuff that's not there yet (e.g. a 64-bit FLASH plugin
for Firefox).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Linux is like a wigwam...no windows, no gates...and apache inside! -