F8: Sound only through PC speakers

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 17:31:05 UTC 2007

Braden McDaniel wrote:
> Since installing Fedora 8, I'm getting sound only through my PC speaker.
>
> Well, almost. In the Soundcard Detection app, the test emits sound
> through my normal speakers (which are plugged into an Audigy2 Value). So
> apparently the system knows about the card and is capable of using it.
> But aside from this, all sound I've tried to emit (desktop sound
> effects, Rhythmbox) comes through the PC speaker.
>
> What do I need to twiddle to make things work right?

Have you tried increasing the volume via the button in the top right
corner? There are different settings. Alternatively run

# alsamixer

Push up the volume for the different settings and press q to quit. Try
again. Note that only open formats are supported by default. If you want
  support for other content refer to guides like these:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html

Rahul