Fedora 8 install gets stuck

Derek Schuurman dschuur at cs.redeemer.ca
Fri Nov 9 22:22:08 UTC 2007

I am installing Fedora 8 on a Toshiba Tecra laptop and the installation
process gets stuck shortly after the DVD media test. Fedora 7 installed on
the same laptop without any difficulties.  The media check passes, but the
message "IRQ #18 Disabled" appears.  Both the graphical and text-mode
install have the same issue.

After the media test screen, the installation halts on a blue screen with
the title "Welcome to Fedora for i386" which is empty except for some
navigation commands on the bottom line of the screen.

By switching to console 3 (ctrl-alt-F3) I can read the INFO messages and
the last INFO message displayed is as follows:

<time-stamp> INFO   : modules to insert pcmcia_core H*H****************  pcmcia

(note the '*' characters above actually appear as solid "blocks")

I can switch to console 2 (ctrl-alt-F2) and type shell commands so the
computer is not hung, but the installer seems "stuck". When I list the
installed modules using "lsmod", the pcmcia modules are not installed.
Other driver modules (such as SCSI drivers) appear to have loaded
successfully.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
thanks,
Derek