F8 - upgrading impossible

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 04:38:59 UTC 2007

Björn Persson wrote:

You went about using the DVD in an out of the ordinary way. At least you
were able to upgrade your system.
I believe the /mnt directory cannot be used directly though I know of no
reason it would be excluded from direct usage. I always created a
directory sub to /mnt because of traditional usage of /mnt.

Question: Was the DVD automounted under /media/fedora8-dvd-whatever when
inserted? Were you in GUI mode or in text mode?

Usually I see the DVD automounted in GUI mode.

Whenever I have trouble with the installer not working I would mount the
disk and then copy the rpms to a directory on my hard drive. After that,
I would run createrepo on the created directory. Then I would disable
the standard repo files and add a new repo file based on the disk. Of
course these computers which I do this to are not connected to the
Internet and the repo is still used later for putting files in it to
continue updating. The initial rpms are left on the disk and newer
directories with repos are created for other repos which come after for
updates-testing and updates.

Anyway, I believe there is an easier way than what I have done and the
method that you described. I heard some references on the development
list of people being requested when running the update GUI programs to
insert the Installation DVD. I do not see any trace on my system but
there must be some repo file or setting in yum where you can now set it
to use the DVD for upgrading systems or adding packages.
The information is probably somewhere in the archives for the
development list and if I recall were posted by Gerry Tool, where his
questions were answered. I don't really want to attempt to search the
archives though.

--
Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.