Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 11 14:30:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:08 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> # hdparm -B 192 /dev/sda
>
> for a similar Toshiba drive to mine, and sure enough it stops the
> Load_Cycle count cranking up here along with the clicking I have
> suddenly become extremely sensitized to.
>
> Apparently you should stick it in /etc/rc.local to make it stick.

I did get around to doing that, quite a while ago.  But I set it at 255,
to turn it off completely.  Though, it doesn't accept that, and the
value reads back as set at 254 (and disabled).  Anyway, it did the trick
of stopping the drive clunking off every few seconds.

However, that only solves the problem on a system that's booted up.  If
I wake a computer up from hibernation, rc.local isn't executed, and the
drive comes up with its default bad values.  Is there a similar script
that's run after de-hibernation?  (Suspend to disk, in this case.)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.