f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 11 21:37:28 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> NM works with wired connections and wireles connections. I use it
> wherever I am and it works very well.

But do you ever have problems with wired connections?
I've never had any difficulty, anywhere, with ethernet connections.

I wish NM would stick to WiFi, where it could conceivably
serve as a replacement for wireless-tools.

Incidentally, I wrote recently to the orinoco_cs developer
asking if he could get orinoco_cs to work with NM,
and he gave it as his opinion that NM could and should change
to work with orinoco_cs.

I don't think any program should be adopted as standard
unless it works with as wide a range of devices as possible.

I feel NM tries to do too much.
It would be much better if it concentrated on doing one thing -
dealing with WiFi devices - as well as possible.