Fedora 8 On Dell Latitude D420 Over USB

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 12 00:01:48 UTC 2007

I succeeded in installing Fedora 8 to a Dell Latitude D420 laptop. I did
the install to an external USB drive (in one of those 2.5" hard drive
enclosures sold by CompUSA) and booted from that external drive. It
works like a charm. I was extremely pleased to see kernel messages
indicating wlan0 is being brought up. It failed of course because I
don't broadcast my SSID and the connection is secure. I set it up
manually. The network configuration wizard pretty stupidly sets the type
to 'Master' for a wireless configuration. Changing it to 'Auto' and
setting up the security stuff got the connection going. That's the good
part -- my easiest wireless connection ever in Linux!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA