how to get an ip address for my Fedora box from Windows

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 12 07:20:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 20:32 -0600, Scott Berry wrote:
> I have a question.  How does one retrieve an ip address from a Windows
> box for a Fedora box.  My ip address changed ou me and my router
> reassigned a new ip address and I don't know what it is how can this
> info be retrieve with in Windows Vista?

Guessing at the back story:  You have a dual boot computer, and you want
to get the same IP whichever OS is booted.  If that's the case, then in
your DHCP server, tie the hardware address of the interface (its "MAC",
which is a series of hexadecimal figures) to an IP address.  Then,
whenever that interface is used to connect, it gets told to use the same
IP address.

In general, you'd expect that to happen anyway.  But it doesn't here.
Windows also sends out some unique ID, Fedora does not, and my DHCP
server allocates them IP addresses separately, because it it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.