FC8 yum-updatesd-helper hangs

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 11:57:07 UTC 2007

Chu Tan wrote:
> It is working normally now. I think it is because of the load in one of
> the mirrors.
>
> On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 22:19 -0600, Chu Tan wrote:
>> Just installed FC8 Gnome live CD. Anyone has this problem that the
>> following process never completes and occupying a lock on yum? I have to
>> kill -9 on the helper process to be able to use yum.
>>
>> root      2138  1814  1 22:07 ?        00:00:04 /usr/bin/python
>> -tt /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper --check --dbus
>>
>> This happens everything I boot up.

Apparently the update daemon helper is designed to download updates
quietly (without letting the user know what is going on) to your system.
It maintains a lock on yum while this process is being completed. This
inconveniences anyone who tries to use Add/Remove or the software
updater during this period. I would prefer a bit of more feedback to the
user other than what is presently available.
When either pup or pirut is run and the update daemon is busy, feedback
should be given to the user which states the daemon is busy with
downloading packages and a message should be presented back to the user
once pup or pirut can be used again.

There is a bug filed for this problem that was already posted earlier in
another thread. I believe the daemon program was designed to download
without warning.

Jim

--
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then
you clearly don't understand the situation.