F8: Gnome goes Windows? root logins

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 12 13:08:51 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> You will likely run into other issues running as root and you won't
> get a lot of help from this list when you do, as using root for your
> desktop user is not a well supported or tested (or recommended)
> scenario.
Would perhaps having someone only ever log in as root into the desktop
give some time honoured "foo" that it is not going to automatically
destroy the system ?
If a fault {other than user sillyness - eg deleting /} can be generated
while logged in as root user - wouldn't it make sense to confirm that
the fault doesn't extend to normal user logins - and if necessary
actually fix the fault ?

{sure; don't surf for internet crud on an unpatched os / browser, with
flash ,java, js active with no firewall and selinux off as _any_ user}.

By the way, I wonder if Russel's security only via selinux _strict_
policy play machine [1] would stand up with a root gui interface ?

[1] http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/play.html

DaveT.