ftp client: impossible to use commands.

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Nov 12 18:22:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:09:39 +0700
Strong <strong_yethumble at pochta.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:20:19 -0600 Aaron Konstam
> <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > Then I tried ftp client: it connects to, makes cd to a dir, but on
> > > ls command it says: route to host prohibited. - How be it if cd
> > > command works?
> > > On the server is vsftpd.
> > I don't know but why are you not using ssh and sftp, etc.
>
> I have traffic limitations therefore I use open (unencrypted) ftp
> connection where it is possible. Also, I do not believe the problem
> will be solved by simply using sftp connection instead of the plain one.

In non passive mode ftp makes multiple connections some in each
direction. You may well need to ensure your ftp client is in passive mode
if you see "route to host prohibited" messages.

"PASV" is the Ftp level command but some clients (notably graphical ones)
hide the option under names like "firewall friendly", although the better
ones to be honest nowdays default to passive mode.