Not upgrading a kernel on yum update

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Mon Nov 12 23:51:38 UTC 2007

söndagen den 11 november 2007 skrev Martin Hooper:
> Is there a way to stop the kernel getting updated?
>
> I am using livna's ati drivers and as the kernel is getting upgraded
> its not installing.
>
> This is the Error I'm getting.
>

> ---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.23.1-49.fc8 set to be updated
>
> Missing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 is needed by package
> kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-42.fc8

That error message is completely misleading in this case. It took a long time
before I understood that Yum wasn't actually trying to remove the kernel
package. It really is trying to leave the previous kernel in place and
install the new one beside it.

The message ought to say something to the effect that Yum doesn't want to
install the new kernel because it didn't find a new kmod-fglrx to go with it.

> trying to use yum's exclude option and that's not working either
>
> sudo yum --exclude=kernel-i686 update

Does it help if you change the hyphen to a period?

yum --exclude=kernel.i686 update

or just

yum --exclude=kernel update

Björn Persson