F8 wireless led is not flashing!!!

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 13 01:44:02 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Antonio wrote:
>>> After latest updates, I realized this evening that the wireless led is
>>> not flashing during activity, but I am connected.
>>>
>>> My UUID should be:
>>> 20db8b84-d7bf-4e56-b7bc-66406589a723
>>
>> I doubt that these two things are related...
>>

> It's a Smolt uuid for hardware details, although the profile wasn't
> available when this message was first posted.  Anyway, Intel 3945abg
> Pro controller; the iwl3945 driver currently has no LED support as
> mentioned else-thread.  If it really matters then the (legacy) ipw3945
> driver did support the LED last time I used it.

I'm currently using the ipw3945 driver on FC6 on my laptop, and I can
tell you that the LED support only reflects whether or not the wireless
is connected or not.

It seems silly.  On my motherboard, and on an earlier kernel, there was
something in the /proc filesystem which you could modify (write a 1 to
turn the LED on, write a 0 to turn it off).  It wasn't supported
directly by the ipw3945 driver.  Support software turned it on when the
connection was established.  I was never able to tell if the wireless
enable/disable function key had any effect or if it just generated a
keyboard event that should have been handled by software somewhere.

(There is a similar email LED on this laptop as well, and the interface
to both of them has changed since FC6 went to a 2.6.22 kernel, I had to
update my email notification software to a BETA version to get it to
work again.)

In the latest FC6 kernel (2.6.22.9-61) this wreless LED is just lit when
the connection connects.

In any event, it never blinks for me as traffic is passed across the
wireless connection.

YMMV

--
Kevin J. Cummings