java plugin

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Tue Nov 13 05:14:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 14:07 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:

> >Thanks, here is what i did :
> >
> >1) Download the Sun Java Linux RPM from java.sun.com and install it.
> >
> >2) Fix the Xinerama bug with
> >sed -i
> >'s/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03//jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so
> >
> >3) yum install  java-1.6.0-sun-compat from jpackage non free
> >
> >4) Remove /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> >
> >5) Install compat-libstdc++-33
> >
> >6) Remove nspluginwrapper
> >
> >7) Use alternatives to point java to /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java
> >and libjavaplugin.so
> >to /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >
> >All works and it seems to little more clean.
> >
> >Eric
>
> I've slightly revised my procedures now that I have actual F8
> running.  I don't think that nspluginwrapper needs to be removed
> anymore.  I have both icedtea and Sun's Java installed and they both
> work as runtime, compiler and plugin.  I posted the procedure to my
> website;
>
> http://www.knutejohnson/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> I have not tried this with x86_64 only x86.
>
> Here are the steps for those without browsers :-).
>
> How to get Sun's Java running on Fedora 8
>

> 1)Download the Sun Java Linux RPM from java.sun.com and install it.
>
> 2)Make sure that you have version 1.7+ of the jpackage utilities
> installed, then download and install the JPackage sun-compat RPM
> (this handles your alternatives) from jpackage.org
>
> 	java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
>
> 2)Fix the Xinerama bug with
>
> 	sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g'
> /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so
>
> 3)Install a link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped to the java
> plugin link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, that link should have been
> installed when you installed the sun-compat RPM above
>
> 	cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
> 	ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> 4)Download and install compat-libstdc++-33
>
> 5)Select the Java version you want with the alternatives program
>
> You will probably see two Java plugins if you check your browser with
> about:plugins.  It seems to work fine.  Use the alternatives program
> to select the appropriate Java installation.
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...

It seems to also work on F8 x86_64. Unfortunately, it didn't help with
my Notes install. It seems that the installer has its own JRE packed
with it - and it's this one that is failing (Xinerama issue).

Still looking for anyone who has Notes 8.0 installed successfully on F8
x86_64. If you have, a step-by-step guide would be great!

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra