FC8 - 1st boot stuck on swap

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 13 10:24:17 UTC 2007

ne... wrote:
 > Trying to resume from /dev/sdc2
This is normal. Basically, it says that it is about to check the swap
file to see if the previous shutdown was via suspend, and hence the boot
up might need to resume the previous session.

> On 13/11/2007, Vnpenguin <vnpenguin at vnoss.org> wrote:
>> I have same prob: on 2nd disc I have a FreeBSD partition & a non-label
>> swap partition. F8 can not boot until I removed 2nd disc !!! Even in
>> my case, F8 does not use any partition on 2nd disc, it's very strange
>> !!!
> I guess we just have to be patient and wait for an update to the relevant rpm
> before we can use FC8. Else disconnect the drive in question till you
> need to use it. Me, I am holding off for now.

Check for the swap entry in /etc/fstab. Usually it gets created with and
mounted by label eg:
LABEL=swap    swap       swap    swap        0  0

But if you are sharing the swap partition with another OS, it might be
trashing the label ? In that case you could change the fstab to mount by
/dev/sdXy

You can also try comment the line out of swap with #; you might have
enough ram to ~not care ;)

DaveT.