netstat question

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 14:01:01 UTC 2007

Hi Ed,

---- Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:
>
> > On to my next problem. Why can't this FC6 box see any http traffic from a
> > Windows Vista box on my local network when it is obviously connecting to
> > various web sites? I'm using Wireshark and yes, I have opened up the
> > firewall. I can see ICMP traffic and other protocols from the Windows box
> > and I can see http traffic from my FC6 box.
>
> Is your FC6 box acting as a router in your network?  Or, are both the
> Windows box and FC6 connected to a switch?  If the latter, then don't expect
> to see much traffic from the Windows host since a switch prevents that.  You
> will a small amount of traffic from the Windows box in the form of
> "broadcast" traffic.

Both the Windows box and the FC6 box are connected to my router, a Linksys WRT54G that I have flashed with DD-WRT so that I can use it as a DHCP and DNS server for my local network.

So everything is working as it should? If I point the Windows IE at my Apache server on my FC6 box, I still would expect to see the http traffic but I don't. How is this supposed to work?

Steve.