(fedora) F8 : internet Radio problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Nov 13 17:47:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 16:37, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I found a "work around" for this :
> >I have a problem accessing websites supplying radio by internet. On my F7
> >system with mplayer-plugin it worked perefect.
> >Now I did a "fresh" F8 install. Installed the mplayer stuff from livna but
> > I do not get any "audio" on the machine
> >
> >when I try (with firefox)
> >  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ram/r3g2.ram
> >It suggest to open it with "gedit"
> >
> >when I try (with firefox)
> >  http://www.dr.dk/netradio/metafilter/asx/DR_Klassisk_32.asx
> >It shows some bar and volume knob, but stays downloading and no sound is
> > heard
> >
> > Already checked : Sound works on the machine
> >                   SeLinux switched off
> >

> > What can be done to make it work properly?
>
>   1) I copied /usr/bin/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug* to
> /usr/bin/firefox-2.0.0.8/plugins
>        (this made the BBC link work)

I'm glad you got that working, as I'd be lost without access to the BBC

>   2) I removed /usr/bin/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
>        (This made the Danish link work)

When I installed FC6, and had installed realplayer, mplayerplug-in, flash,etc,
all was working ok. Then I did an apt-get dist-upgrade. The next time I tried
to link to bbc radio4, Firefox threw up a popup saying totem can't play this
media. Weird I thought, as I hadn't installed any plugins for totem, but sure
enough about:plugins in Firefox, showed a load of new libtotem plugins. A
quick trip into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins with a text editor, and all the
libtotem stuff was renamed, thus disabling it. Restarted Firefox, and BBC
radio4 was working again. I must say that since FC1 I've never known Totem to
play anything, and is much like Kaboodle on KDE, which likewise has never
played anything when clicking on a file in a webbrowser.

>   Two questions :
>     1) How should I manage the firefox plug-ins in a more decent way?
>     2) Should I file a bug-report against mplayer?

Don't do 2, as Mplayer-plugin has nothing to do with Mplayer, and they can get
a bit bolshi.

Regarding 1, I thought, and have seen that the links from firefox
to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins have been automatically created (FC5, and later),
but you appear to have had a problem with this on F8. I havn't installed F8
yet, but the DVD (kindly provided by someone on the list) arrived today. It
will be interesting to see if I get similar problems to you when I decide
which of my earlier instances of Fedora is going to be overwritten by F8.

On earlier releases of Fedora, I've always downloaded and installed Firefox
from the Mozilla site, and created the symlinks myself.