Enterprise Management Tool supporting Fedora?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:59:31 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

>> So if anyone has suggestions or even experiences with a tool to handle
>> these kinds of tasks in large environments it would very interesting to
>> hear about them!
>>
>> 1) https://www.redhat.com/rhn/
>> 2)
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/enterprise-management-features
>>

> You might look for systemimager and (I think) systemmanager. Both are
> distro-agnostic, and while I've used neither, I've seen good reports of
> them.

If you just want to roll out a bunch of clones on similar hardware,
clonzilla is pretty good.

But... Automating maintenance over a long term is fairly difficult even
given the same disk controller so you can theoretically boot your
update.  For example, from one kernel version to another, your NICs may
be detected in a different order - if you have several, an automated
update will have no way of knowing which gets which previous settings
and a standard update won't even try.  This is no fun when the machine
is at a remote location, and not much even if you have hands on.  And if
you've cloned the image you'll have the wrong MAC addresses tied to the
configs which won't work either.   Then there are the kernel updates
that change the disk device names...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com