FC8 how to get static IP working

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Nov 13 18:59:55 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Chu Tan wrote:
>
>>I've used fedora's network configuration tool to setup eth0 to use a
>>static IP address, however it always boot up using DHCP.
>>
>>Here's my config files and I have tried ifdown and ifup on eth0 on
>>command line and it is still using the dhcp ip address.
>>
>>/etc/sysconfig/network
>>NETWORKING=yes
>>HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
>>
>>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>># Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
>># for the documentation of these parameters.
>>GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
>>TYPE=Ethernet
>>DEVICE=eth0
>>BOOTPROTO=none
>>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>>IPADDR=192.168.2.3
>>ONBOOT=yes
>>USERCTL=no
>>IPV6INIT=no
>>PEERDNS=yes
>

> Change BOOTPROTO=static

Hi Ed,

"static" is not a protocol.

I'm curious where you got that information.  I've searched off and on
for years and never found that documented anywhere although I have seen
it used somewhat frequently and which may actually be a source of errors
in some scripts.  From:

The Official Red Hat Linux Reference Guide
Chapter 12. Network Scripts

BOOTPROTO=<protocol>, where <protocol> is one of the following:
       none — No boot-time protocol should be used.
       bootp — The BOOTP protocol should be used.
       dhcp — The DHCP protocol should be used.

Additionally, grepping for BOOTPROTO in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*
finds no test for static.

Based on that I'd have to say BOOTPROTO=none is correct.

hth,
Mike Wright