FC8 how to get static IP working

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Nov 13 22:22:33 UTC 2007

Mike Wright wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>> That's beside the point.  I meant that system-config-network and
>> anaconda set up "static" and THAT isn't documented.
>>

> Looks like an anaconda bug.
>
> I just pulled system-config-network-1.4.3.src.rpm and found a jewel.  In
> src/netconfpkg/NCDevice.py lines 308 and 309:
>
>         if self.BootProto == "static":
>             self.BootProto = "none"
>
> So apparently the maintainers of system-config-network are aware that
> anaconda has introduced a bug.  Question becomes: why put on a bandage
> in the network configurator instead of fixing the source of the problem?
>
> Note also that any user scripts that follow the documentation will break.
>
> I'll pull the anaconda sources and see if I can find where this is
> introduced.

...and following up on my offer:

Pulled anaconda-11.3.0.50.tar.bz2 and found the source of this
confusion.  In loader2/net.c line 1421:

         fprintf(f, "BOOTPROTO=static\n");

Should be:

         fprintf(f, "BOOTPROTO=none\n");

Guess I'll have to learn bugzilla...

Side note:  until a couple of years ago I always used "static".  The
docs changed my ways ;D