looking for suggestions

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Nov 13 23:18:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 15:05 -0800, alan wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Have Dell Optiplex 320 and 19" Dell FP analog display. Motherboard video
> > has ATI Embedded.
> >
> > Display was OK on Fedora 7 (I tweaked it around a bit)
> >
> > Upgraded to Fedora 8 - display looked weak, too bright, gamma way off,
> > fonts thin, ugly.
> >
> > Switched to runlevel 3 and ran 'system-config-display --reconfig' and
> > set it up anew. Did a start X, logged in as root, still pretty bad.
> >
> > Created a new local user, logged in as that user, still looked bad. Took
> > a screengrab (Ksnapshot) brought it over to my usual desktop, the
> > screengrab looks perfect on my screen.
> >
> > Is it possible that the video display is affected by the kernel
> > parameters that I am passing at boot [pci=noacpi timesource=acpi_pm] ?
> >
> > Suggestions anyone?
>
> Most monitors have a menu button that allows you to adjust settings and
> the like.  It may be that Fedora has set to something that is just not
> optimal for.
----
No when I went to runlevel 3 and did 'system-config-display --reconfig',
the software figured it all out just fine...it recognizes the Dell 197FP
(autoconfigured) and the ATI Technologies RC410 (Radeon Express 200).

changing to Generic LCD 1280x1024 (native resolution) and resetting Dell
FP back to 'factory settings' hasn't improved things one bit
----

> Check your monitor model number through Google and see what the true
> resolution for the monitor is and set the resolution to that value.  You
> could be set to some setting that does not adjust well to the actual
> resolution of the monitor.  (For example, my laptop is 1920x1200.  If I
> set it below that it looks weird.)
----
that's sort of the thing it looks like but 1280x1024 is the recommended
resolution.
----

> You also might find the display panel and set it for "Generic LCD monitor"
> with the proper resolution for your display.  It is possible that X is
> giving it bogus information thinking it is a tube type monitor.
----
tried that too...didn't help

Craig