VMware Workstation 6.0.2 on F8: Re-run vmware-config.pl after every reboot

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 14 15:47:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 22:57 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > I have VMware Workstation 6.0.2, both 32 and 64-bit versions, installed
> > on two different systems running F8 (obviously 32 and 64-bit versions,
> > respectively). All is working except that I am being forced to re-run
> > vmware-config.pl after every reboot. It looks like a problem udev is not
> > preserving the vmnet devices.
> >
> > Does anyone have a workaround to make sure that things like /dev/vmnet1
> > and /dev/vmnet8 are preserved?
> >
> > I don't know if this is a VMware or F8 problem, but tend to lean
> > strongly toward it being F8 related because Workstation 6.0.2 does _not_
> > have this problem on F7.
>
> Have you also investigated/posted to the VMware forums?  They often have
> better answers in this area.

Indeed I have, which is how I came to believe this could be something
where udev isn't getting what it needs.

As I said, this works in F7, so with the only difference being F7 vs.
F8, the most likely scenario is that something in F8 has changed, and
most likely with udev.

The VMware forums have a script that might be a good work-around, but it
is specific to FC4 or FC5. It might not work with F8, but I was going to
give that a try as well.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra