Copy words still broken

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Nov 14 22:26:12 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> David Timms wrote:

>>> Are you in the gui {gnome?} or vt1..4 ?
>>>
>>> If you are talking gnome-terminal:
>>> both click = middle click button3 = paste what is currently
>>> highlighted into the current edit position. {ie the command that is
>>> being entered at the bottom of the terminal}.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it rather difficult to get the both click timing correct.
>>>
>>> On a wheel mouse {mine} pushing the wheel down {into the mouse} also
>>> does the middle / button 3 click.
>>>
>>> You could also ctrl-alt-c to copy and then ctrl-alt-v to paste the text.
>>>
>>> DaveT.
>>>

>>    Hi Dave, tried your ideas and none worked :-(
>>
>> The ctrl-Alt-c and v work exactly like the mouse which is a Logitec
>> track-ball with two switches. I have fooled around with the mouse and
>> keyboard. It appears the keyboard will work if plugged into EITHER ps2
>> ports, even though one is labeled mouse and the other keyboard. I just
>> noticed the mouse has a USB plug which was in a USB-to-ps2 converter
>> plug. So I took off the converter and plugged the mouse into a USB port
>> and it works fine.
>>
>>    The ability to copy any words from one thing to another has been a
>> great improvement over Windows for 10 years.
>>

> It is called 'cut and paste' and uses the clipboard BTW.
>
> But are you *ever out of date* Karl! I can't recall if this worked in
> Windows 3.11. But it, 'cut and paste', works in Windows '95, '98, ME,
> NT4, 2000, XP-Home, Xp-Pro, 2003, and Vista.
>
> This quote, for example, is a cut and past done in Windows from Firefox
> 2.0.0.9 to Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. I happen to be in Windows XP Pro. Work
> stuff happening at the moment. ;-)
>
> quote from CNN
>
> Delta-United merger plan aired
>
> Delta Air Lines said Wednesday it is open to a deal with another airline
> in the wake of a push by a major shareholder to combine Delta with
> United Airlines. Delta denies talks have officially opened, but any
> merger could be an answer to soaring jet fuel costs. It could also
> reduce the choices for passengers.
>
> end quote from CNN
>
> Is that what you seem to be lacking in Fedora 8? Check your settings? It
> works in my Fedora. Always has for as long as I can recall.
>
> - --
>

>   David

    The clipboard works fine Dave. I can write a thing in gedit and
select all and copy to the clipboard and then put in a email with the
paste command. This has been in both Windows and Linux a long time.

    But this is NOT what I am talking about. Here is an example:

Open two Terminal windows.
In one use "more" to display some lines of a file.
With your mouse select 5 lines from the file.
With your mouse put those 5 lines in the second Terminal window.

This does not work and I am now thinking it is a bug that needs reporting.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User