any good UPS for a Fedora server

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 14 23:19:20 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 20:56:29 -0800,
>   "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for a UPS for a single Fedora server for a non-profit
>> org. Only one machine (HP DL360 G4) will be connected to the UPS. We
>> need about 2 hrs of run-time, with automatic shutdown capability, and
>> restart when the power comes back.
>>
>> Any good APC UPS that has rpm for Fedora?
>
> For that long of a time you may want to look into some sort of backup
> generator. You can get ones that run off natural gas for a few thousand
> dollars. (If you expect earthquakes, than getting one that runs on gas or
> diesel would make more sense. Those are more of a pain to maintain, since
> you have to worry about stabilizing the fuel.) That device could also supply
> power for other things in the office. You would still want a UPS to smooth out
> the cutover and help clean up the power during normal operation.

I would have thought that, in case of an earth quake, you'd want the
power off so as to not cause more fires. If the power's down, probably
the communications are down too, unless you're an emergency service.

But then we haven't had a significant quake here since September 1968,
and when we did the epicentre was far from built-up areas. What would I
know?

--

Cheers
John