Problem booting from PXE/kickstart on FC7

Gary Schlachter Gary.Schlachter at tavve.com
Thu Nov 15 14:33:10 UTC 2007

Mike Wright wrote:
> Gary Schlachter wrote:
>>    I am trying to use PXE/kickstart to load FC7 on an appliance.  My
>> initrd.img and vmlinuz are from FC7 and are loading but my console
>> output looks like the following:
>
> <big snip />
>
>> Switching to new root and running init.
>> umounting old /dev
>> umounting old /proc
>> umounting old /sys
>> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
>> Booting has failed.
>> Kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
>>
>> Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I'll take a stab at it.
>
> I nfs install f7 using pxeboot and kickstart.  I seem to remember
> struggling with something similar.  It turned out that in the pxeboot
> stanza I had broken the APPEND line using "\".  Big no-no.  The "\" is
> for readability.  The APPEND line and all its options must be on a
> single line.  Once I'd done that it worked correctly.
>
> If that doesn't solve the problem would you post your pxeboot stanza?
> Might be a clue there.
>
> hth,
> Mike Wright :m)

I finally got my initrd.img to load.  I found a post about changing the
init script in the initrd.img from

    mount /sysroot

    mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /sysroot

and that did the trick.  However now my kickstart file is not being
used.  My pxelinux.xfg/default looks like

       label linux
       kernel vmlinuz
       append initrd=initrd.fc7.img
ks=nfs:10.254.13.1:/home/tftpboot/kickstart/10.254.13.112-kickstart
ramdisk_size=9216

I have tried with and without the ksdevice=eth0 on the "append" line as
well.  It is like the "ks=" is being ignored by the kernel alotugh I can
see it as a kernel option on the console.

Gary