Excessive network traffic -

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:28:59 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 12:33 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 10:22 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone suggest what I need to put in the config file to view
> >> everything happening on eth0?  I have not yet put anything in config.
> >>

> > It's absolutely ages since I set up MRTG to watch my router.  I did it
> > the hard way, first.  Pouring over documentation to work out what to put
> > into the configuration file.  Later, I played with the /usr/bin/cfgmaker
> > tool that comes with it.
> >
> > Investigate the different files you find listed with:  rpm -ql mrtg
> >

> /usr/bin/cfgmaker
> Usage:
>     cfgmaker [options] [community@]router [[options] [community@]router ...]
>

> I can probably muddle through the options with a few trials but I am
> lost  with "community@]router"
>
> My router is known only as 192.168.1.1 but I'm looking at the output of
> the Wildblue receiver/modem and don't know how to address this except as
> eth0 on box10, the computer in which mrtg resides.

If the modem does not support snmp, or you can not configure the
community on it, you may need to configure a Linux as router, make all
traffic to cross it, and then point MRTG to one of the interfaces of
that PC

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."