qla2310 hba at boot time

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Nov 15 22:17:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 17:10 -0500, Andrew Parker wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2007 2:33 PM, Bob Kryger <bobk at panix.com> wrote:
> > So, I have an F7 system w/ a QLA2310 HBA. Everything works OK, when done
> > by hand.
> >
> > But when I reboot, the kernel module is not getting loaded correctly,
> > the firmware not loaded, then the md not assembled and not mounted.
> >
> > So I unload the module, reload the module (which loads the firmware),
> > assemble the md0, and mount by hand and it works.
> >
> > Questions:
> >   Why is the module load at boot time not loading the firmware?
> >   Where is that module load done in the startup sequence?
> >   How do I approach resolution correctly, avoiding hacking the startup?
>
> did you rebuild your initrd?  i seem to remember getting some
> wierdness with our 2312 cards (on RHEL, not Fedora) like that

You should put "alias scsi_hostadapterX qla23xx"-type entries in your
modprobe.conf file and rebuild the initrd.  When you rebuild the initrd,
I'd recommend you add the "-v" option and verify that the modules are
being put in the initrd.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -