F8. How to disable pulseaudio

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Nov 15 22:50:19 UTC 2007

Well I thought I'd got the sound sorted out. There are the usual problems like
setting indexing options for snd-usb-audio, and snd-bt87x
in /etc/modprobe.conf. Now pulseaudio has entered into the equation.

The sound was ok, but I've just been setting up mountpoints, and fstab entries
for a fixed harddrive (fat 32 partitions), and upon rebooting, and logging in
to KDE, I now get a window that I've often seen saying that the sound is
disabled.

I now try a music cd, and lo, and behold pulseaudio is claiming a permissions
problem.

Now I try and remove all the pulseaudio stuff. I've got my my audio sorted
without pulseaudio messing it up again, but trying to remove all the
pulseaudio components with yumex results in a lot of other stuff being
removed (supposed dependencies) . I'm having to write this freehand,as F8 is
on the other machine. This is what removing pulseaudio, also wants to remove
as deps.
akode
akode-pulseaudio
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
gstreamer-plugins-pulse
kde-settings-pulseaudio
kdemultidedia (thats a bad one)
kdemultimedia-libs  (another bad one)
libflashsupport  (probably bad also)
pavucontrol  (no idea what that is)

OK. I cant remove pulseaudio without screwing up other sound stuff. I 've seen
a lot of posts about pulseaudio problems, but have trashed them as I didn't
seem to have a problem with it. Now I find myself in the same manure cart.

What is the easiest way to disable it, as it appears to be problematic??

Gratefull as always to get rid of this unwanted crap. I take that back, as I
suppose it's supposed to be doing something usefull, but isn't quite up to
the mark yet.

Nigel.