External Hard Drive Mounting Problem for Back up's

Ralph De Witt rdewitt001 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 16 00:07:35 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 06:08:40 pm Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ralph De Witt wrote:
> > Hello All:
> > I am new to Fedora. Just installed Fedora 8 on my Dell Inspiron Laptop.
> > So far I am impressed. I have a USB External hard drive that is attached.
> > Does anyone know how to permanently mount the partitions on it? I would
> > like to use it for Hard Drive back up and to play music files from. Also
> > could you recommend a good way to back up my current lappy hard disk to
> > one of the partitions on the external hard drive. TIA
>
> I suspect you don't really want to "permanently mount" removable
> filesystems, what you want is to mount them if the device is present.
>
> You have an option in system->preferences->removable media which is
> probably what you want. You *may* be able to put lines in /etc/fstab for
> "noauto" mounting, I don't know if that would be scanned by the hotplug
> stuff. Of course, if you don't care too much about all the filesystems
> being mounted on /media/* points, just enable automount, make sure the
> filesystems on the removable device are labeled (see tune2fs) and you're
> done.
>
> Wasn't that easy?
Bill:
Thanks for the info. But I oppsed. I should have stated I am using the KDE
desktop. It is been a very long time since I have used a gnome centric
distribution. There is some thing under system disk management but it states
there are no file systems user is allowed to mount. So how do I as user
become owner of the external hard drive partitions? TIA

--
	Yours,
	Ralph.