Firewall problems with NFS

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 16 01:35:49 UTC 2007

Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have a firewall problem with running an NFS server on FC6 or FC8,
>> due to the GUI configuration interface not opening the firewall when I
>> check the NFS protocol support. It seems to only allow use as an NFS
>> client, since that worked fine when I tested it.
>>
>> I can put the needed rules in the "RH-Firewall-1-INPUT" chain, but
>> mixing GUI administration and manual administration is undesirable to
>> prevent unexpected behavior, conflicts, etc, in the future. Is there
>> really no way to open the ports for NFS server other than by hand?
>>
> Since there were a few people flailing at a helpful answer, let me pass
> on some additional informations:
>
> 1 - pinning ports. Not needed. The standard tool seems to cope just
> fine, if only you can get the fixed ports visible.
>
> 2 - Need another firewall tool. No and yes... No, you really don't to
> open the ports, Yes you do if you want to specify which machines get
> access to the port. The export file or exportfs command limit which
> machines will be allowed to use NFS once they see the port. If you
> export to a reasonable subset of IP addresses most discussion I found
> indicates that you are probably safe from access to data, usual DOS
> attacks could be an issue.
>
> So what's the scoop? See here:
>   transport    ports
>   UDP        2049, 111, 709, 706
>   TCP        2049, 111, 709
>
> Note that this was tested with a sniffer and a number of various
> machines and operating systems, seems to work with all of them. U was
> surprised to see that TCP with tcp_adv_win_size=5 and rsize=8192 was as
> fast as UDP, driving 449.1Mbit over gigE connection.

_I_ found the ports were moving; I used tcpdump to see it. It was _not_
using any 7xx ports. lockd (in the kernel) _was_ using a 327xx port.

111 is used by portmapper, which maps "program names" to port numbers.
The port numbers actually used can vary.

See these, both are using nahant-clone:
10:29 [summer at numbat ~]$ rpcinfo -p  192.168.9.4
    program vers proto   port
     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
     100024    1   udp    765  status
     100024    1   tcp    768  status
     100011    1   udp    825  rquotad
     100011    2   udp    825  rquotad
     100011    1   tcp    828  rquotad
     100011    2   tcp    828  rquotad
     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
     100021    1   udp  32771  nlockmgr
     100021    3   udp  32771  nlockmgr
     100021    4   udp  32771  nlockmgr
     100021    1   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100021    3   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100021    4   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100005    1   udp    841  mountd
     100005    1   tcp    844  mountd
     100005    2   udp    841  mountd
     100005    2   tcp    844  mountd
     100005    3   udp    841  mountd
     100005    3   tcp    844  mountd
10:30 [summer at numbat ~]$ rpcinfo -p  cdm
    program vers proto   port
     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
     100024    1   udp    602  status
     100024    1   tcp    605  status
     100011    1   udp    621  rquotad
     100011    2   udp    621  rquotad
     100011    1   tcp    621  rquotad
     100011    2   tcp    621  rquotad
     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
     100021    1   udp  32788  nlockmgr
     100021    3   udp  32788  nlockmgr
     100021    4   udp  32788  nlockmgr
     100021    1   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100021    3   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100021    4   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
     100005    1   udp    640  mountd
     100005    1   tcp    640  mountd
     100005    2   udp    640  mountd
     100005    2   tcp    640  mountd
     100005    3   udp    640  mountd
     100005    3   tcp    640  mountd
10:30 [summer at numbat ~]$

Everything but portmapper and nfs is different. A debian system I have
is different again.

--

Cheers
John