Samba?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 16 03:31:20 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson wrote:
>>> Can anybody point me to a current tutorial to get a samba share
>>> running on F8?  I've been playing with it for two days and I still
>>> don't have it working.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>> Did you try http://www.samba.org
>>
>> What kind of a problem are you having?
>
> Well first off, I kept getting selinux messages when I created a
> shared directory.  I solved that with help from the selinux list.
>
> What I want to do is set up a simple public share just like a
> Winblows machine.  No matter how I set the conf file up I get either
> nothing or a dialog that says;
>
> The Folder Contents could not be displayed.  "Public" could be found.
>  Perhaps is has recently been deleted.

Usually you have to make a winblows user with nologin. Afterward, using
the GUI program to setup the share, you add winblows to the directory.
Afterward, you create the share with winblows owning the directory. If
you want the directory visible for browsing, read-only or whatever, you
can set it up using the GUI SAMBA configuration tool.

Regarding SELinux errors when accessing the share, I usually run the
suggested command on the directory that SEtroubleshooter browser reports
for the errors. The directory usually works.
I haven't tried setting shares public on my installation for quite a few
versions of Fedora back. I personally login as a specified user and
share directories as a set user.

> It hasn't of course.  I'm still not clear what selinux context the
> shared directory should have.  I've tried samba_share_t and
> public_content_rw_t.  Neither work but I think the problem is
> upstream of selinux now.  I just don't know where.

The troubleshooter browser should specify the needed SELinux magical
incantation.

> I'm not clear what actually is shared if you share user home
> directories.  I don't want access to the whole thing just one
> directory.

In the firewall setup, there are options to not share the user home
directory. If you create a user with nologin the home directory will not
be there.
As a bonus, you can login to the SAMBA share on your computer running
the SAMBA share and move files onto it without a lot of permission
problems. The files will all be the classic 777 file permissions but be
owned by the winblows user share.

What happens if you have a regular user as the share and the access to
the home directory is used is all the files in the /home/user directory
are exposed.

> This used to be really easy on FC4,5 & 6.  I never got it to work on
> F7.
>
> So what I'm looking for is a really complete set of directions with
> none of the steps left out.  Every thing I've found so far is for
> either selinux or samba and so much of it is out of date already.  F7
> and F8 have completely different set of selinux procedures than what
> I'm finding on the search engines.

I don't recall if I read any SAMBA documentations. I find the GUI tools
for SAMBA pretty straightforward. Of course there were times in the list
history where SAMBA was heavily discussed and I probably absorbed te
knowledge subconsciously. One thing I have not seen mentioned is that
the filesystem does not need to be a common windows filesystem. I use
ext3 filesytem because you can save very large files. I believe vfat
limited at 2 GB or 4GB. I saved 7 GB files on the ext3 share successfully.

Sorry no ideas as to good SAMBA documerntation.
Jim

--
Economists can certainly disappoint you.  One said that the economy would
turn up by the last quarter.  Well, I'm down to mine and it hasn't.