F8 hangs randomly - some ideas.

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 16 07:31:22 UTC 2007

Hans Bergström wrote:
> I just installed F8 on a desktop. Unable to boot installation DVD with
> SATA drive connected.
Is that an external and or only drive ?

> After hot_plugging in the drive when kernel is
> loaded it works fine
Which kernel is that ?
Which one are you running now ?

> , installation a breeze, first hangup during
> postinstall and it then hangs randomly, both in Gnome and in TTYx, (more
> often in Gnome).
You could leave a gnome-term with top running on one side of you screen
while you work, and hence see if the machine is still doing stuff {clock
and top changng - maybe also which process might be hogging the CPU.

> It just freezes and does not respond to anything but
> power On/Off reboot.
With another PC; check if ping / ssh {top} are still responsive >

> Same symptoms when testing Kubuntu 7.0.4 by the way
> My configuration:
> ASRock 775Dual880-Pro, Intel P4 3,0 GHz, 1GB DDR 166 MHz, ASUS EN7600GS
> silent PCExpress (nVidia GeForce 7600GS),  2 hdd: Fujitsu MPE3136AT
> (13.6 GB IDE) and Western Digital WD 3200AAKS (300GB SATA II jumpered to
> SATA I), onboard network and sound. One PCI-board: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
> DVB-T.
> Any ideas out there? Grateful for your help!
Do you see anything in /var/log/messages ?
If you aren't seeing crash like info in your logs: if you have another
PC, set the problem one to boot with serial console, and use a 3wire
null modem cable to connect to another PC running a terminal emulator
{minicom}, hopefully leaving it like that means you might get to catch a
dump or other interesting info.

DaveT.