Resolving dependencies

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:05:21 UTC 2007

On 15/11/2007, Bryan Zimmer <zimmer.bryan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I am not new to fedora but haven't had this problem before.
>
> I get a balloon at the top of the screen announcing "384 Security Updates
> available" (I guess this is the "pup" program).
>
> When I click to get the updates, the program (pup?) does a dependency check.
> So far I've never gotten around this. It will say "libinchi.so.0 is needed
> by openbabel", or something similar, then the whole update process fails.
> I've tried to use "yum' to find some of the dependencies. but so far it
> hasn't worked very well.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to say: "Go ahead, download the updates, and get any
> dependencies, too". Or tell me how to use yum or some program to get those
> dependencies.

What does "yum repolist" print? It looks like you may be missing some
repositories, e.g. the Fedora "Everything" repository that contains
openbabel and inchi.

$ yum whatprovides libinchi.so.0
inchi.i386 : The IUPAC International Chemical Identifier (InChI) library
$ yum list inchi
Available Packages
inchi.i386                               1.0.1-8.fc8            fedora