F8 Boot Under VMware Server

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:17:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 8:06 PM, Gordon R. Keehn <gordonkeehn at netzero.net> wrote:
>      I'm running Fedora 8 under VMware Server 1.0.4 on two WinXP Pro
> systems, one an IBM Thinkpad T41, the other a ThinkCentre A60.  Virtual
> machine specs are identical.  On one system (the Thinkpad), Fedora boots
> directly (and quickly).  On the desktop system, during boot, Fedora
> seems to be trying to access some hundred or so devices from SDA through
> SDDZ, taking close to 30 minutes to get into the real boot process.
> Both were installed from the DVD .iso downloaded with Azureus.
>      Has anyone run into a similar issue, and (hopefully) figured out
> how to get around it.  I'm hopeful it's a configuration file somewhere,
> that can be tweaked manually.

I've seen this too. On a system at work with scsi disks, everything's
fine. On my old desktop at home with IDE disks I saw the behaviour you
describe. I zapped the vm and set up a new one emulating IDE disks
rather than SCSI and the problem went away. Of course this requires a
re-install, but as I was testing kickstart, this wasn't an issue for
me.

Chris