Pulseaudio doesn't seem to work in surround/multi-card configuration: (Was: F8/KDE - wrong ownership on all audio devices.)

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:35:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 18:16 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Thanks.
> /dev/snd/*, /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer all have valid ACLs.
> (user:gilboa:rw-)
> It looks like a pulseaudio problem.
> While it does start, I get no sound and older OSS/Alsa application
> either fail miserably (cannot open /dev/dsp) or stay mute. (amarok over
> xine)
>
> Starting pulseaudio -vv and playing an MP3 from amarok (xine engine,
> surround40 configuration) doesn't play anything but leaves the following
> console-trail.
> I've got a weird feeling once I manually added my webcam input (alias
> snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio) to modprobe.conf pulseaudio decided to take a
> vacation.

Here's the weird thing.

$ aplay chan-id.wav
Playing WAVE 'chan-id.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Channels 6

(Plays nothing)

[gilboa at gilboa-home-dev Download]$ aplay -Dsurround51 -c6 chan-id.wav
Playing WAVE 'chan-id.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Channels 6

(Plays 5 out of 6 channels [FL,FR,CN,RL,RR are OK])

In F7, when I use the default alsa configuration (aplay chan-id.wav) I
simply hear the first two channels.

- Gilboa