home network planning with all-linux questions

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:30:12 UTC 2007

Tom Poe wrote:
> I have multiple boxes to connect.  I want one to use for VoIP/PBX, one
> for workstation, and one for router/gateway between LAN and DSL modem.
> The router/gateway has two NIC cards?, or can I use just one card with a
> virtual configuration?  I'm also looking for a beginner's article that
> walks me through steps to set up network to have both VoIP/PBX and
> workstation have access to Internet through the router/gateway.  I can
> find pieces, but nothing that makes it come together for me, yet.  Any
> help appreciated.

Look at one of the pre-configured distributions like SMEserver
(http://www.contribs.org) or clarkconnect (http://www.clarkconnect.com)
for your gatway machine if you have to run it on a computer (or choose
to because you want to have services (email/ftp/web, etc.) on it.  If
you don't know what you are doing you'll probably miss something in the
firewall setup.

But I'd recommend looking around for a good price on a home router.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com