Fedora 8 Wireless Networking Out-Of-The-Box

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 18 16:30:46 UTC 2007

Randy Yates wrote:
> Does F8 support wireless networking out-of-the-box, including some sort
> of driver scheme for specific cards/chipsets (similar to the
> functionality provided by ndiswrapper)? If so, then how do I get my
> NetGear WG311v3 (Marvell chipset) working without using ndiswrapper?
> I installed F8 and it has not recognized it.

How easy or hard it is depends on your WiFi card. For example, my
Intel IWP3945 worked out of the box - the only things I needed to do
was give the encryption key. This was connecting to an access point.
Connecting system to system may take more work.

Some cards will require you to download the firmware for them, or
strip it out of the windows driver. This is usually because the
firmware license does not allow distribution directly, but requires
that it be downloaded from their site, or they don't provide it
except as part of the Windows driver.

I am not sure what your card requires. Keeping tract of Netgear
cards is too much work - they change the chipset without changing
the model number. (I love having to match the picture, and other
identifying marks to figure out what driver the card needs.)

Mikkel