evince? = train wreck

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 19 16:30:30 UTC 2007

Greetings;

I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it didn't show in
an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde file associations, all of
which were set to use acroread for viewing a pdf.

But somehow, firefox seemed to think it had to use evince, which worked fairly
well & fast, but just one HUGE problem.  All the characters were rendered in
the correct left to right order, but they were mirrored right to left!  Veddy
difficult to read needless to say.

Also needless to say it got nuked on the spot when I discovered there wasn't
any way to fix it, taking xfig with it as a dependency.  And I can't
re-install xfig without evince. WTH?  Can't xfig use any old pdf renderer?

Does anyone have any idea what the heck this was all about?

I wouldn't be quite so grouchy if I wasn't in the middle of pushing a jerk I
wrote a check to for the first half payment on rebuilding a pair of elderly
wingback chairs back in Oct 2006, and he's still dragging his feet.  I needed
to know when the check was paid, so this was an aggravation I didn't need.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)