Layer 7 Load Balancer

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:52:42 UTC 2007

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

>>> My problem : I have two mails servers and I want to distribute
>>> incoming mails to a server depending of the domain (e.g.
>>> somebody at domain1.com  to server1 and somebody at domain2.com to server2)
>>>

>> Uh, why?  Is there some reason DNS won't do what you need?  With 2
>> separate domains, just point your MX record to the correct server.
>>
>> Or am I missing something obvious here?
>>

 > No, because the MX of the two domains points to the same IP (services
 > are dispatched behind this IP)

Nothing at the IP level can distinguish inbound connections for the
different destinations and they are all going to be connecting to port
25.  However, you can configure sendmail at that IP address (or wherever
you direct port 25) to accept for both domains and relay to the other
one at an address specified in mailertable.   The problem you'll have
with this is that the first machine won't know the users on the other
domain and will relay everything.  If you get a lot of spam to
non-existent users, then the real server will reject them and the relay
will have to construct and try to deliver a bounce, clogging up your
queues.  To avoid that you might use virtusertable to list all the valid
recipients at the other domain and a default rejection if they don't
change too much, or something like MimeDefang which can check the real
host for the recipient via smpt before accepting at all.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com