Layer 7 Load Balancer

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 19 19:52:13 UTC 2007

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> No, in the company we only have one ADSL line, so one fixed ip address.
> Can you tell me more about a mail gateway solution ?
>
> Mark Haney a écrit :
>> Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
>>> No, because the MX of the two domains points to the same IP (services
>>> are dispatched behind this IP)

>> Can you add a second IP to the mix?  I mean doing something like a L7
>> load balancer seems a bit overkill for this.  Or, how about a mail
>> gateway that routes accordingly?

Okay, first things first, please don't top post, I can't keep track of
the thread that way.

As for a mail gateway, you really should have one mail server on the
front that takes all incoming mail for both domains and then forwards
those mails to 2 other servers based on the domain name.  It's a fairly
common practice.

I've setup similar systems using MIMEDefang as one way to route after
the mail gets to the gateway server, or using DNS on the gateway server
to route those domains after receipt.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support